Given the situation continues to evolve, on 24 March 2020 we updated our coronavirus bookings policy statement which supersedes and replaces all other previous statements we have made and is set out below.
Cottar’s is aware of the outbreak of the coronavirus (COVID-19) that is currently in the news and we are monitoring the situation closely as it evolves. At all times, and especially in this uncertain climate, we want to assure you that your safety and wellbeing is our highest priority. We are continuing to monitor and react to the coronavirus (COVID-19) situation as it continuously evolves, and we remain steadfast in our commitment to provide you with the highest standard of service and care, so you can plan and travel with confidence.
That said, due to the recent restrictions in Kenya by the government we have decided to close our properties for the next three weeks as we do not want to risk the virus coming into camp and infecting our staff and the local community. We will monitor the situation as it unfolds and see if it will be possible to open the camp in time for Easter.
At this time we are kindly asking that you wait to see how the situation unfolds before cancelling or postponing bookings.
In light of the situation, our policy on changing bookings as a result of the coronavirus is as follows:
- Should your client not feel comfortable travelling on the dates already booked with Cottar’s due to the Coronavirus outbreak if the booking is within the 2-month window, you may amend the booking by moving it forward by up to 2 years (up until 31st Dec 2022), subject to point 2. below. This offer is applicable to all agent bookings and is not dependent on the World Health Organization (WHO) issuing travel restrictions. This covers all of Cottar’s arrangements and accommodations. Third-party accommodation and logistics are subject to their own policies.
- We will now offer 2020 rates for those who postpone their booking to 2021 – seasonal rates/changes will still apply. Should the dates of the amended booking fall in a season where higher rates are applicable, your client shall be responsible for payment of the difference between the season rate of the original booking and the season rate of the new booking.
- Travel more than 60 days out or within 14 days of arrival will be subject to normal cancellation fees.
- All exceptions should be discussed with our Manager on a case-by-case basis.
- Any outright cancellations of bookings due to the Coronavirus outbreak will carry standard Cottar’s Safaris cancellation fees. Clients are advised to claim a refund from their personal travel insurance.
- Likewise, in the event that the World Health Organization issues advisories against travelling to a country where a Client has a booking with Cottar’s Safaris, clients are advised to claim a refund from their personal travel insurance.
- Please note that the terms set out above are subject to availability and apply only to bookings with Cottar’s Safaris and not with any third parties.
- Bookings can only be amended once.
- Cottar’s Safaris reserves the right to make changes to the above policy from time to time and to notify all agents of such changes.
- In the case of an amendment, followed by a cancellation outside of our cancellation terms, we reserve the right to apply the cancellation fees from the early amendment date.
We advise any travellers heading to East Africa or currently booking a future trip to the region with Cottar’s Safaris to take proper care and secure traveller’s insurance that will cover them for any changes to their trip unrelated to an official COVID-19 travel advisory.
We know travellers may be concerned about planning their holiday right now due to coronavirus and are here to help ease any concerns about travel in East Africa. We will continue to monitor the situation closely and update our policies if and as needed.
Please call us if you would like to discuss further. Our team will be happy to answer any questions or concerns you may have.
Thank you for your support.
The Cottar’s Team